Saturday, November 24, 2012

8 Hour Salad

I found this recipe in an old Relief Society Cookbook my Mother in Law gave me years ago. It is super yummy and we use it for all kinds of special events. This picture is from my son's graduation party.
I doubled the recipe in this picture.

Eight Hour Salad
by Alice Knight

Recipe:
1 Head Iceburg Lettuce -broken in bite size peices
1/2 cup chopped celery -about 2 stalks
1/2 cup chopped green or red peppers
1/2 cup red onion
2 cups frozen peas
8 slices cooked, crumbled bacon
2 cups mayo
about a cup of shredded cheddar cheese

Layer half of the lettuce in a medium size bowl. (I like glass so you can see the layers) top with half of the celery, peppers, onion, frozen peas, and bacon. Spread half of mayo to the very outer edge and sprinkle with half of  the cheese. Do it all again and cover tightly in the fridge over night. The point is to allow all of those savory flavors to blend together and make a yummy "dressing". -note, if it is a really strong onion, go easy! lol We learned this the hard way this year at Thanksgiving. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment