Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Chicken Cabbage Salad

I LOVE Chicken Cabbage Salad from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. 
I have looked all over the internet and haven't been able to find the same recipe as the book, so here it is. A place on the internet for the true BHG recipe.

Chicken Cabbage Salad
1 3 oz package ramen noodle
1/4 c.  slivered or sliced almonds
2 TBLS sesame seeds
3 c. shredded Napa or Green Cabbage.  -About half of a 1 pound head
2 c. chopped cooked chicken or turkey
1c. pea pods, halved crosswise
1/4 c. thinly sliced green onions. -2
1/4 c. chopped red sweet pepper -optional
3 TBLS salad oil
2 TBLS rice vinegar
2 TBLS soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil -optional, but I think this makes the salad

Save seasoning packet from noodles for another use. Break up noodles; place in a cookie sheet with almonds and sesame seeds. Bake in a 350 oven for 5-8 min. or until golden, stirring once. Set aside.

In large salad bowl place cabbage, chicken, pea pods, green onion, and if desired, red sweet peppers; toss to combine.

For dressing, in a screw-top jar combine salad oil, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, and if desired, sesame oil. Cover and shake well. Pour over cabbage mixture. Add toasted noodle mixture; toss to coat. Serve immediately.

Note: I like to use what ever veggies I think might go well with this salad that happen to be in my fridge. I also like to use the seasoning packet to season the chicken breast while I cook them.

ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment